Friday, January 22, 2010

DINO & THE DIPLOMATS_ I Can't Believe

Group formed in 1957 in New York whose members went to school with Frankie Lymon,first called themselves The Lionels and then The Universals before changing their name to Dino & The Diplomats; Rafael"Dino"Cedano(Lead),Charles Humber(Bass),Woody Carter(Baritone),Jackie Jones(2nd Tenor) and Richard Morgan(1st Tenor).

In 1961 recorded one single for Laurie Records...

-My Dream/I Can't Believe.

-I Can't Believe.was part written by Ricardo Weeks who with Melvin Anderson penned_I Wonder Why. for Dion & The Belmonts(see in this blog) and as you can listen The Diplomat's song borrowed the Dion & The Belmont's tune.


To Listen or Download please visit;http://www.box.net/shared/slga2f024p

Another song recorded by Dino & The Diplomats on Laurie was_Hushabye My Love.( originally recorded in 1960 as a demo by The Newports) but Laurie never released this song.(appear for first time in 1991 from a ACE CD).


After their Laurie recording Carter left the group and this moved to Vida Records and recorded two singles_Homerwok/Hush-A-Bye My Love.in 1961 and_Soft Wind/Such A Fool For You. in 1962

_Hush-A-Bye My Love. on Vida Records is a different version of the Laurie demo.

LISTEN....




LISTEN... the Laurie Demo...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I used to see Dino and another member of the Diplomats on 145th Street & B'way during the early 1960's so that although I knew little about the group, I knew they were from Harlem!